1998 Maramu purchase advice

Good evening,

I’m thinking about putting an offer on this SM, would you guys be so kind and comment on this particular boat or maybe you know this boat:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/94096

Any constructive comments and pointers would be very much appreciated

Thank you.

Since that post in English, I will reply in English,

That SM rings a bell, it will come back.
Looks great but the devils is in the details.
How many hours for generator and engine? Detailed invoices for each maintenance. Same for watermaker.
Type of batteries and manufacturer?
Electrical: original or rewired? What charger/ inverter?

Does it come with dinghy and outboard?
Last haulout and bottom paint?

88lb Rocna main anchor w/ 330ft 3/8 inch HT chain handled by a Lofrans windlass: that is a very anchor (great!) with lots of chain. Make sure you have a 1,500W windlass. The original windlasses were not built to handle that kind of weight.

Some of the recent sales would be between $200-250K. The higher end have new engine and new generator, brand new sails, new rigging ($10-15K, your insurer may impose that)

Mexico makes sense if you want to go to Tahiti. Going East through Panama or North to San Francisco is a nightmare.

You may have to fly a surveyor from the US.

Sorry, more questions than answers

Henrik, feel free to post more questions, or the answers if you get them.
Welcome to the forum!!

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive answer/questions list that’s very helpful.
According to friend of mine who had a chat with the broker or the owner the engine have around 4000 hours but the full service was done last year and some repairs was done as the engine was taking a bit of oil, generator less than 2000 in good shape.
Water maker in good condition pickled as not in use for a while.
Batteries fitted last year AGM type some US brand
Electrics wired for 230/110v two charges/inverters but not sure about the models.
Dinghy in ok condition plus 1 year old outboard.
Last haulout last year plus hardcore mexican style copper paint
Don’t know about the windlass so something to ask.
Sails seems to be decent and recent and the standing rigging is original but in great shape apparently as the boat was not really used much apart from US Pacific coast and Mexican coastal.
Not sure about the invoices but apparently the owner is engineer from Florida who took good care of the boat and you can see it is rather tidy in terms of wiring and the look of the engine etc

Are there any SM specific issues I should look for during the viewing?
Thank you very much once again and I hope to become useful forum member at some point :slight_smile:
Henrik

Henrik,
First, do you have a good reputable broker? If you don’t, get one: Joel Potter is the Amel authority for Super Maramu for sale in the US and Mexico. He knows them all. He is based in Florida. Talk to him, you won’t waste your time Office 954-462-5869 Cell 954-812-2485

Second: like any other boats watch for water intrusion: bulkheads, core, pay special attention around the mizzen mast all the way down the bulkhead.
The C drive is unique to Amel. Well maintained, proper seals, oil changes and it will last a lifetime. If you don’t it will an expensive repair (custom Amel parts). Same for the bow thruster, the electric furler (main and genoa).
4,000hrs is not bad if the engine is well maintained. Could last up to 6,000 to 10,000+ hours
Good news on batteries and the two 220v + 110v circuits. Don’t forget not the same frequency.
You must change the standing rig, cost $10-15K. You may not be able to get insured if you don’t. Get a detailed inspection of the rig, send the qualified surveyor up the mast.
Pay extra and hire Olivier Beaute as the surveyor, he is the one who launched and baby sat that Amel for the first two weeks. Olivier BEAUTE / ATLANTIC YACHT SURVEY
32 avenue des Corsaires
17000 LA ROCHELLE
Tel: +33 546 522 147 Mob: +33 674 028 243
http://atlanticyachtsurvey.com

Don’t worry about sails, you can always deal with that later, and have them recut and stiched for next 1-2 years.
Watermaker: if it has not been used for a while you have to get brand new membranes.
Dinghy + outboard: great news

Bottom line: it may be a gem, just have to check her out.
I have a friend sailing to Mazatlan right now, let me know if you want him to take pictures.

Good morning,
You are unbelievable. Thank you very much for all the info. I will definitely follow your advice.
If you could ask your friend to check the boat when he is in Mazatlán that would be great help. Apparently the boat is based in Mazatlán Marina further in land not the El Cid.

I really appreciate your time and effort.

Thank you very much.

Henrik

Henrik,
My friend just arrived in Mazatlan. This is what he needs:

• Exact address of the marina and slip number

• Owner needs to inform the marina. Do they have a key to the boat?

• A signed letter from the owner that he can present to the marina explaining that he authorizes my friend to step on the boat. Just send me a private message with your email address and I will reply with his full name. This forum is public.

Best,

JB